59 - A Road Map for your Love Live - If you Read German
Past Affection Farm, take a left at the River of Tears
In the 18th century, sentimental cartography was very much à la mode, with this map as one of the finer examples. ‘Das Reich der Liebe’ (‘the Empire of Love’) by Johann Gottlob Immanuel Breitkopf, was published in Leipzig in 1777. In a brief explanatory, it describes how pilgrims set out from the Land of Youth, where are located the sources of the rivers Joy and Wish and may end up in any of six other countries.
Below the map is a listing of the place-names in German and an attempt at English translation:
Das Reich der Liebe -The Empire of Love
Zweyter Landchartensatz-Versuch - Second Attempt at Map-making
LAND DER JUGEND: LAND OF YOUTH
LAND DER RUHE: LAND OF REST
LAND DER TRAURENDEN LIEBE: LAND OF MOURNING LOVE
LAND DER LÜSTE: LAND OF LUST
LAND DER GLÜCKLICHEN LIEBE: LAND OF HAPPY LOVE
LAND DER HAGESTOLZE: BACHELOR COUNTRY
LAND DER FIXEN IDEEEN: LAND OF OBSESSIONS
Strange Maps #59
Got a strange map? Let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
Archeologists had been doubtful since no such ship had ever been found.
- In 450 BCE, Greek historian Herodotus described a barge that's never been found.
- One boat, Ship 17, uncannily matches the Herodotus' description.
- Horseshoe crabs' blue blood is so valuable that a quart of it can be sold for $15,000.
- This is because it contains a molecule that is crucial to the medical research community.
- While on Joe Rogan's podcast, he explains his thoughts on the gender differences in society.
- On another episode, Peterson discusses the development of character through competition.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.