Here’s Where You Feel Like the Alien on Earth
Oceanographer Sylvia Earle shares the wonder of experiencing the ocean’s creatures in the wild.
As a diver descends into the deep, it’s as if she’s swimming down through a history of life. Creatures millions of years old, swim with her. We humans just got here, really, and the story of life on earth is more theirs than ours.
It’s really amazing that there’s a place where so many of these living relics can be encountered. It’s easy to understand why oceanographer Sylvia Earle waxes rhapsodic sharing the experience.
While certainly many ocean creatures are big — the blue whale is the world’s largest animal ever — many of them are tiny, too. Scientists have traditionally had to take them out of the sea, into a lab, and under a microscope to get a look at them. Just recently, scientists have developed and deployed an underwater microscope so these life forms can be seen for the first time in their natural environment.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.