Prof. Krugman VS Tim Geithner, to whom will be right? (Part I)
Prof. Krugman VS Tim Geithner, to whom will be right? (Part I)\r\n \r\n To Geithner’plan , Prof. Krugman asserted that he will fail all the programs. It is totally permissive and out of evidence, a kind of assertion only could by made by HK academics………..please see Part II \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
Prof. Krugman VS Tim Geithner, to whom will be right? (Part I) First I would like to thank the young, hungry and innocent Mr. Geithner to stay on the most pressured job, Treasury Secretary. Young, for a 40+, he is young and not has very much experience in risk management. Hungry, who does not want to be TS? Innocent, he thinks he can handle the cunning and old Washington Politicians and the dogged media! Result, Mr. Geithner appeared lost 5 to 15 pounds because the pressure and hard work drove him loss weight. Buddy! You’d better taken Tai Chi exercise to clam down your stress and anxiety. And I hope Mr. Geithner is not Wall Street Trojan horse. Otherwise, I will "grass-mud-horse!( Chinese Joke!") (However, I suspect his predecessor may be either a Trojan horse of Wall Street or GS. Ask Lehman Brothers’ Richard Fuld , he may tell you!) Now comes to Prof. Paul Krugman. Same old words: I love Prof. Krugman, but I would love the truth more. The truth is that, Prof. Krugman criticized Geithner’s Public-Private Investment Program in his column, on March 23, 2009 NYT with his prediction in black and white Financial Policy Despair: It (Geithner’s plan) almost surely will fail! To my surprise, Prof. Krugman even didn’t wait to see the original copy came out, he concluded his prediction based on the leaked from The Times and other newspaper editions. During the 1998 Hong Kong Economic storm, I had seen and heard so many this kinds of "assertions!" No data , without any statistics and even not his specialty, the HK U very famous (in HKU famous not mean he is good!), economics major Professor Cheung XX predicted: If Hong Kong Government purchased stocks with tax payer’s money, Hong Kong will be dead because the governmental intervention! Result: He was dead wrong, HK survived! In hindsight, even his mentor, the late Milton Friedman admitted that: Economy is not science; HK Government may be right to intervene the market in an extraordinally time! Academics are always wrong, especially in the extraordinally time. Readers should take note: most Economy Schools in HK are not very high standard as US, So, does the Economy professor. Former economics Prof. Cheung XX of HKU made such silly assertion, not a bit of surprise to me. Difference, form most HK Economic Professors and Prof. Friedman. Prof. Krugman and I both support the intervention. Prudent is risk, waiting is danger! We both agree Big and Quick ferderal intervention. To my surprise Prof. Krugman still insists Swedish model to nationalize the bank (I oppose). Readers should read the article: Self-assembly Solution of March, 17 ,2009 of Financial Time about the bail out Swedish model. Here I quote some lines from it : "Contrary to the myth that surrounds the Swedish model, the Authorities nationalized only two banks- Nork Banken and Gota Banken ( This Author noted, Gota already in bankruptcy when it was nationalized!) The Authorities admitted that they were small banks not as big as City or Bank of America! And Sweden was not in recession like US kind at that time and they said: "May be we are successful, we will never know!" FT summarized this kind of feeling: Disconcerting! I doubt Prof. Krugman red this article! Now comes another truth of Mr. Geithner’s Public-Private Investment Program, to my understand, it has two key parts, "The two key elements of the plan are: • Legacy Loans Program: a program to combine an FDIC guarantee of debt financing with equity capital from the private sector and the Treasury to support the purchase of troubled loans from insured depository institutions. • Legacy Securities Program: a program to combine financing from the Federal Reserve and Treasury through the Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility ("TALF") with equity capital from the private sector and the Treasury to address the problem of troubled securities." (Quoted from the Treasury white paper) To Geithner’plan , Prof. Krugman asserted that he will fail all the programs. It is totally permissive and out of evidence, a kind of assertion only could by made by HK academics………..please see Part II
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
- Emily Chamlee-Wright says there are many benefits to having no one central authority on what is appropriate speech.
America continues to tread water in healthcare and education while other countries have enacted reforms to great effect.
- The American healthcare and education systems are known to need some work, but a new study suggests we've fallen far in comparison to the rest of the world.
- The findings show what progress, if any, 195 countries have made over the last twenty years
- The study suggests that economic growth is tied to human capital, which gives a dire view of America's economic prospects.
- Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett breaks down what qualities will inspire others to believe in you.
- Here's how 300 leaders and 4,000 mid-level managers described someone with executive presence.
- Get more deep insights like these to power your career forward. Join Big Think Edge.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.