Ireland Cuts Funding for Special Needs
The Irish government today confirmed that it will be cutting special teacher support for children with mild learning disabilities in 119 schools nationwide. This announcement comes on the same day that the government will give €8bn to re-capitalize the banks, according to The Irish Times. Smart thinking!
Over 500 children will feel the effects of the move when it is introduced at the beginning of the next school year as they are moved into regular classes to be educated by regular teachers.
General secretary of the Irish National Teachers Organisation, John Carr admitted to being “shocked” by the “indefensible” action. "On a day when €8 billion is being provided to bail out banks the Department of Education is axing €7 million in funding to special needs children,” he roared.
Fine Gael, Labour, and the Sinn Fein parties have all reacted angrily to the move. "Ending vital services for these children is inexplicable, but denying them the opportunity to flourish in school is unforgivable,” said the Labour equality spokeswoman, Kathleen Lynch, adding that their classmates would suffer and a further burden, as well as the overstretched mainstream teachers.” This is just one of many cutbacks which the government have been putting in place lately. But hey, the €8 billion has to come from somewhere.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
A glass of juice has as much sugar, ounce for ounce, as a full-calorie soda. And those vitamins do almost nothing.
Quick: think back to childhood (if you've reached the scary clown you've gone too far). What did your parents or guardians give you to keep you quiet? If you're anything like most parents, it was juice. But here's the thing: juice is bad for you.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.