With "Project Adam", Microsoft Claims It's Bested Google's AI
With Project Adam, Microsoft has thrown down the artificial intelligence gauntlet. The company boasts that it's new deep-learning system is better in terms of speed, efficiency, and accuracy than Google's best attempts.
What's the Latest?
With Project Adam, Microsoft has thrown down the artificial intelligence gauntlet. The company boasts that it's new deep-learning system is better in terms of speed, efficiency, and accuracy than Google's best attempts at artificial intelligence to date. The key difference is a system Microsoft uses called HOGWILD!, developed at the University of Wisconsin, which allows computers to work in an asynchronous way with each other. "Although neural nets are extremely dense and the risk of data collision is high, this approach works because the collisions tend to result in the same calculation that would have been reached if the system had carefully avoided any collisions."
What's the Big Idea?
So what can Project Adam really do? For now, it can identify the content of photos very quickly and with a very high accuracy, differentiating different breeds of dog and even their sub-breeds, for example. That might sound a little gimmicky, but if the results can be scaled and applied to other industries, the effects could become enormously beneficial. "Imagine if you could photograph the food you're eating and could instantly receive accurate nutrition information to make smarter choices," says Microsoft. "Imagine if we could identify serious disease well before it spreads based on a photo and some basic lab results."
Read more at Wired
Photo credit: Carlos Castilla/Shutterstock
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.