Why You Should Keep Your Smartphone Away From The Fridge
German researchers put Android phones in the freezer for an hour in an attempt to get around their encryption systems and access sensitive data. It worked.
What's the Latest Development?
Researchers at Friedrich-Alexander University in Germany were able to hack into Android phones through a relatively simple method: They put them in a freezer for an hour, cooling them to below -10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit), then quickly removed and reinserted the battery. Using custom-made software, they were then able to restart the phone and access photos, contact lists, and other sensitive information stored in the phone's memory. Although the focus was on a specific type of phone, the team thinks their method may work for other phones as well.
What's the Big Idea?
According to a blog post about the research, Android's encryption system, introduced with version 4.0 of the OS, was proving especially difficult for IT forensics workers and law enforcement officials to crack. Appropriately, the software the team created was titled Forensic Recovery of Scrambled Telephones (FROST). In addition to expanding their tests to other smartphones, they are now working on ways to defend against such attacks. One of their recommendations is to move the location of encryption keys from sensitive memory chips to the phone's processor memory.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbor is... Mercury!
The blood of horseshoe crabs is harvested on a massive scale in order to retrieve a cell critical to medical research. However, recent innovations might make this practice obsolete.
- Horseshoe crabs' blue blood is so valuable that a quart of it can be sold for $15,000.
- This is because it contains a molecule that is crucial to the medical research community.
- Today, however, new innovations have resulted in a synthetic substitute that may end the practice of farming horseshoe crabs for their blood.
The distance between the American dream and reality is expressed best through literature.
- Literature expands our ability to feel empathy and inspires compassion.
- These 10 novels tackle some facet of the American experience.
- The list includes a fictional retelling of the first Native American to graduate from Harvard, and hiding out in inner-city Newark.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.