Which Cities Are America's Smartest?
The software company Luminosity, which makes brain games to improve cognitive function, has measured 169 metro areas across the US to determine which are the smartest.
What's the Latest Development?
The software company Luminosity, which makes brain games aimed at improving cognitive function, has taken a nation-wide measurement of intelligence and ranked 169 metro areas according five key cognitive areas: memory, processing speed, flexibility, attention, and problem solving. The data used for the analysis were taken from the company's tracking system, which allows players to follow their gaming performance over time. "The data was normalized into a basic brain performance index controlling for age and gender. Only metros with more than 500 observations were included."
What's the Big Idea?
Charlottesville, Virginia, emerged as the nation's brainiest city, followed by Lafayette, Indiana, and Anchorage, Alaska. Because the study controlled for age, cities were measured as smarter simply because they had more young people. Rather, said researchers, the presence of universities increased the general intelligence levels of the surrounding population. Where a city ranks on the new list could be of serious concern, says Richard Florida, because in today's knowledge economy, "we are often told the smartest cities and nations do the best."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Both schizophrenics and people with a common personality type share similar brain patterns.
- A new study shows that people with a common personality type share brain activity with patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
- The study gives insight into how the brain activity associated with mental illnesses relates to brain activity in healthy individuals.
- This finding not only improves our understanding of how the brain works but may one day be applied to treatments.
It's a development that could one day lead to much better treatments for osteoporosis, joint damage, and bone fractures.
- Scientists have isolated skeletal stem cells in adult and fetal bones for the first time.
- These cells could one day help treat damaged bone and cartilage.
- The team was able to grow skeletal stem cells from cells found within liposuctioned fat.
Gut bacteria play an important role in how you feel and think and how well your body fights off disease. New research shows that exercise can give your gut bacteria a boost.
- Two studies from the University of Illinois show that gut bacteria can be changed by exercise alone.
- Our understanding of how gut bacteria impacts our overall health is an emerging field, and this research sheds light on the many different ways exercise affects your body.
- Exercising to improve your gut bacteria will prevent diseases and encourage brain health.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.