Tread on This Carpet and It'll Call The Police
Okay, not quite, but close: A new smart fabric, developed in Germany, can trigger an alarm when penetrated, and is flexible enough to be incorporated into building walls and floor coverings, among other materials.
Article written by guest writer Kecia Lynn
What's the Latest Development?
German researchers have created a "smart fabric" that is designed to not only trigger an alarm when breached, but identify the exact place where the breach took place. The fabric is made up of conductive threads woven into a fine lattice and connected to a microprocessor. The two are then "incorporated in a low-temperature process using joining techniques borrowed from the semiconductor industry such as adhesive pressure bonding and non-destructive welding." The resulting textile was tested in a variety of conditions involving different elements and temperatures, and passed every one.
What's the Big Idea?
The fabric can be used in a wide range of security applications, particularly those that call for protection of large surface areas. Suggestions include creating tarps from it, laying it underneath the tiles on top of a roof, integrating it into walls surrounding a bank vault, and placing it underneath floor coverings in combination with pressure sensors. One of the researchers says that, although the fabric is a giant electrical conductor, "the current is so weak that it presents no danger to humans or animals."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.