Top 5 Potentially Inhabitable Alien Planets
Since it was launched in 2009, NASA's Kepler spacecraft has discovered more than 700 confirmed planets outside our solar system. Some may be quite appealing to humans in the future.
What's the Latest Development?
Since NASA's Kepler spacecraft was launched in 2009, it has discovered over 700 confirmed planets outside our solar system. The most promising planets are those which most resemble Earth, i.e. have about the same size, are made of rock and orbit in its star's habitable zone, where temperatures allow liquid water to be maintained. At the top of the list is Gliese 581g, a rocky planet just 20 light-years from Earth. "It's likely two to three times as massive as Earth and zips around its parent star, the red dwarf Gliese 581, every 30 days or so."
What's the Big Idea?
Discovered in February 2012, Gliese 667Cc orbits a red dwarf star some 22 light-years away, in the constellation Scorpius. "The alien world is a so-called 'super-Earth' that's at least 4.5 times as massive as our planet, and it completes an orbit every 28 days. At least one other planet resides in the 667C system." Third on the list is Kepler-22b, whose name is an homage to the craft that discovered it in December 2011. "If the greenhouse effect operates on Kepler-22b like it does on Earth, the alien world would have an average surface temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees Celsius), researchers have said."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.