The Present Confusion of Economic Development
The economic state of mind for many countries, and the actual status of the country's economic state don’t always match up.
Article written by guest writer Rin Mitchell
What’s the Latest Development?
The terms developed country and developing country have been used to determine whether a country is rich or poor. However, a country like China is labeled as a developing country, but is not necessarily a poor country—just a country with a poor mind state. Then there is Spain that is classified as developed, yet going through a dire financial crisis—still it considers itself rich. The developed United States is still trying to recover from the 2008 financial crisis, unemployment is still an issue and healthcare is not the greatest—but the mindset is still that it is a rich country. What happens when a country that is not rich thinks it is poor and a poor country thinks it is rich? “Even if the division between the developed and the developing or emerging countries remains broadly unchanged, the definition of “rich country” and “poor country” is rapidly evolving—and ever more difficult to define.”
What’s the Big Idea?
It is believed rich countries have a poor state of mind and poor countries have a rich state of mind. What is known as a developing country and a developed country has changed by definition due to perception. So it does not mean a developed country is rich and a developing country does not mean it is poor. The people of China and Spain are examples of countries that have a different state of mind from what is actually happening in their countries.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.