The Present Confusion of Economic Development
The economic state of mind for many countries, and the actual status of the country's economic state don’t always match up.
Article written by guest writer Rin Mitchell
What’s the Latest Development?
The terms developed country and developing country have been used to determine whether a country is rich or poor. However, a country like China is labeled as a developing country, but is not necessarily a poor country—just a country with a poor mind state. Then there is Spain that is classified as developed, yet going through a dire financial crisis—still it considers itself rich. The developed United States is still trying to recover from the 2008 financial crisis, unemployment is still an issue and healthcare is not the greatest—but the mindset is still that it is a rich country. What happens when a country that is not rich thinks it is poor and a poor country thinks it is rich? “Even if the division between the developed and the developing or emerging countries remains broadly unchanged, the definition of “rich country” and “poor country” is rapidly evolving—and ever more difficult to define.”
What’s the Big Idea?
It is believed rich countries have a poor state of mind and poor countries have a rich state of mind. What is known as a developing country and a developed country has changed by definition due to perception. So it does not mean a developed country is rich and a developing country does not mean it is poor. The people of China and Spain are examples of countries that have a different state of mind from what is actually happening in their countries.
Researchers discover a link between nonverbal synchronization and relationship success.
- Scientists say coordinating movements leads to increased intimacy and sexual desire in a couple.
- The improved rapport and empathy was also observed in people who didn't know each other.
- Non-verbal clues are very important in the development stages of a relationship.
Humans evolved to live in the cold through a number of environmental and genetic factors.
- According to some relatively new research, many of our early human cousins preceded Homo sapien migrations north by hundreds of thousands or even millions of years.
- Cross-breeding with other ancient hominids gave some subsets of human population the genes to contend and thrive in colder and harsher climates.
- Behavioral and dietary changes also helped humans adapt to cold climates.
The comics titan worked for more than half a century to revolutionize and add nuance to the comics industry, and he built a vast community of fans along the way.
- Lee died shortly after being rushed to an L.A. hospital. He had been struggling with multiple illnesses over the past year, reports indicate.
- Since the 1950s, Lee has been one of the most influential figures in comics, helping to popularize heroes that expressed a level of nuance and self-doubt previously unseen in the industry.
- Lee, who's later years were marked by some financial and legal tumult, is survived by his daughter, Joan Celia "J.C." Lee.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.