The Fight Against Alternative Medicine
A global organization called Friends of Science in Medicine, of which several prominent physicians are a member, is fighting to take alternative medicine curriculum out of universities.
What's the Latest Development?
The international organization known as Friends of Science in Medicine is fighting to remove alternative medicine curriculum from universities, beginning in Australia. The group lists among its members Ian Frazer, inventor of the cervical cancer vaccine, and Sir Gustav Nossal, a renowned immunologist. "A university is supposed to be a bastion of good science, but their reputation is let down by teaching something like homeopathy," said a founding member of FSM. Other practices they question include iridology, aromatherapy and chiropractic.
What's the Big Idea?
FSM insists there is no competition between modern and alternative medicine. Rather, there is good medicine and bad medicine, good medicine being supported by evidence. Proponents of alternative medicine believe its varied practices should be institutionalized to maintain a standard of care and keep the public safe. The current rise of alternative therapy is due in part to the great success modern medicine has had over infectious disease. However, it has struggled to contain ailments like heart disease and Alzheimer's, causing people to look elsewhere for solutions.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.