The Benefits of Tourette's & Stuttering
"For me, the lesson...is that obstacles can also be advantages, that who we become is deeply influenced by what we cannot do" — Jonah Lehrer on stuttering and Tourette's.
"For me, the lesson...is that obstacles can also be advantages, that who we become is deeply influenced by what we cannot do" — Jonah Lehrer blogs on stuttering and Tourette's. "The secret is to struggle through, because the very act of raging against a disadvantage generates its own set of skills. That, at least, is the message of (new research) on Tourette's Syndrome and cognitive control." He also says, "it's interesting to think about timing control advantages in light of the fact that Tim Howard, the goalie on the U.S. World Cup squad, has Tourette's."
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The 116th Congress is set to break records in term of diversity among its lawmakers, though those changes are coming almost entirely from Democrats.
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
- Those changes come almost entirely from Democrats; Republican members-elect are all white men except for one woman.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.