The Benefits of Tourette's & Stuttering
"For me, the lesson...is that obstacles can also be advantages, that who we become is deeply influenced by what we cannot do" — Jonah Lehrer on stuttering and Tourette's.
"For me, the lesson...is that obstacles can also be advantages, that who we become is deeply influenced by what we cannot do" — Jonah Lehrer blogs on stuttering and Tourette's. "The secret is to struggle through, because the very act of raging against a disadvantage generates its own set of skills. That, at least, is the message of (new research) on Tourette's Syndrome and cognitive control." He also says, "it's interesting to think about timing control advantages in light of the fact that Tim Howard, the goalie on the U.S. World Cup squad, has Tourette's."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A disturbing interview given by a KGB defector in 1984 describes America of today and outlines four stages of mass brainwashing used by the KGB.
- Bezmenov described this process as "a great brainwashing" which has four basic stages.
- The first stage is called "demoralization" which takes from 15 to 20 years to achieve.
- According to the former KGB agent, that is the minimum number of years it takes to re-educate one generation of students that is normally exposed to the ideology of its country.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.