Rupert Murdoch's Digital-Only Paper
On February 2nd Apple and Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation launched the Daily, a digital-only newspaper available by subscription. Does the move set a worrying precedent?
Rupert Murdoch and his News Corporation's new digital newspaper will cost 99 cents a week. It will not dominate the digital news market the way iTunes came to rule the digital music market. But it sets a worrying precedent or two. The Daily is a mixture of the newfangled and the old-fashioned. It has whizzy graphics, including video and "360-degree" pictures. Sport fans can receive the twitterings of their favourite players. Unlike most websites, though, the Daily is only available in America. It features outmoded things such as editorials and paid reporters. Although it can be updated to take in breaking news, it is primarily a daily, not an hourly.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.