Putin Will Return to Russian Presidency
After four years of wielding power indirectly as prime minister, former President Vladimir Putin has announced that he will be the Kremlin's next master, just as some argued he would.
What's the Latest Development?
Despite the perceived political differences between current Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, the latter's announcement that he will again stand for the country's presidency shattered illusions many Russians had about democratic reform. "This makes it clear that Putin has always been at the top," says Nikolai Svanidze, a leading Russian TV personality and member of the Kremlin's Public Chamber, an advisory body. Just as Medvedev appointed Putin four years ago, Putin may appoint Medvedev as Prime Minister when he becomes President.
What's the Big Idea?
In hindsight, it seems wishful thinking that Medvedev embodied democratic reform when he spoke of understanding the Russian youth and the importance of national modernization. But the openness with which Putin has admitted that Russia's national politics are highly orchestrated begs the question of whether democracy is a more just form of government or a historical contingency. Indeed, Putin is extremely popular in Russia despite his penchant for limiting free press and free enterprise. Even during Medvedev's presidency, Putin was seen as "the national leader".
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.