New Evidence Points To Possible Snow on Mars
Thanks to NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, scientists now have proof that snow clouds, and maybe snow itself, exist on the Red Planet.
Article written by guest writer Kecia Lynn
What's the Latest Development?
A report being published in Journal of Geophysical Research confirms the evidence of "snow clouds" made of carbon dioxide that resolve into a "dry ice snowfall" at the Martian southern polar cap. An instrument on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is able to examine atmospheric gases and particles by measuring brightness in visible and infrared light. Based on the data, the carbon dioxide clouds contain particles that are heavy enough to fall to the ground as snow. Also, the signature of the clouds extends to the surface, implying that snowfall may likely be taking place.
What's the Big Idea?
This is the only known carbon dioxide snowfall in the solar system, according to the report, and the southern polar cap is the only place on Mars where dry ice exists year-round on the surface. Prior to this, scientists only knew of the existence of ice as well as a kind of sleet in Mars' northern hemisphere. Because carbon dioxide freezes at -193 degrees Fahrenheit, the possible existence of snow "reminds scientists that although some parts of Mars may look quite Earth-like, the Red Planet is very different."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The best-selling author tells us his methods.
- James Patterson has sold 300 million copies of his 130 books, making him one of the most successful authors alive today.
- He talks about how some writers can overdo it by adding too much research, or worse, straying from their outline for too long.
- James' latest book, The President is Missing, co-written with former President Bill Clinton, is out now.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
It's the first time the association hasn't hired a comedian in 16 years.
- The 2018 WHCA ended in controversy after comedian Michelle Wolf made jokes some considered to be offensive.
- The WHCA apologized for Wolf's jokes, though some journalists and many comedians backed the comedian and decried arguments in favor of limiting the types of speech permitted at the event.
- Ron Chernow, who penned a bestselling biography of Alexander Hamilton, will speak at next year's dinner.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.