Neuroscience + Supercomputing + Nanotechnology = Human Brain
IBM computer engineers are making progress toward a cognitive computational model by combining our current knowledge of neuroscience, supercomputing and nanotechnology.
What's the Latest Development?
Scientists at IBM are combining our current knowledge in the fields of neuroscience, supercomputing and nanotechnology to build a completely new computing architecture which mimics the functionality, low-power and small size of the human brain. "The Cornell – IBM SyNAPSE team has fabricated a key building block of a modular neuromorphic architecture: a neurosynaptic core...which incorporates central elements from neuroscience, including 256 leaky integrate-and-fire neurons, 1024 axons, and 256x1024 synapses using an SRAM crossbar memory." Researchers say the compact design, which occupies just 4.2mm square, will be compatible with mobile devices.
What's the Big Idea?
Current computers, with their emphasis on symbols and logic, represent the functioning of the brain's left hemisphere. By giving computer chips the ability to make concise, parallel and powerful calculations, IBM researchers want to open a new field of cognitive computing, which would correspond more closely to the brain's right hemisphere. The new core is "a flexible brain-like architecture capable of a wide array of real-time applications, and designed for the ultra-low power consumption and compact size of biological neural systems,” explained IBM Almaden scientist Dr. Dharmendra S Modha.
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.