If Dads Are the New Moms, Are We All Lesbians?
As fathers play larger roles in their children's lives, families are reevaluating old gender roles. But when two working adults are also committed parents, what energy is left for marriage?
What's the Latest Development?
Fathers are increasingly present in their children's lives, according to Census Bureau statistics and academic research. Men are changing more diapers, driving kids to activities more often and providing a base of emotional support they might not have had from their fathers. As a result, many families are reevaluating gender roles that were once taken for granted. And as men's identity changes, so does their health. More paternal involvement is associated with "decreases in depression, substance abuse and risky behaviors for low-income fathers. It also improved their self-reported physical health."
What's the Big Idea?
As men embrace parenting responsibilities that were once the domain of women, gender roles in marriage are changing too, but with less clarity. W. Bradford Wilcox, director of the University of Virginia's National Marriage Project, says there is a cultural script for a 'new dad' but not for a 'new husband'. "That married people with children now often refer to themselves as a 'stay-at-home mom' or 'stay-at-home dad' instead of as 'wife' or 'husband' signals that we now prioritize parenthood over marriage itself." In households with two working adults who are also committed parents, less energy is left to sustain a marriage.
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.