How the First Planets Formed
Two American physicists have put forward a new theory of how the first planets formed which reverses many aspects of the old model left unchanged for nearly 40 years.
What's the Latest Development?
Two physicist at Washington University in St. Louis have put forward a new theory for how the planets in our solar system, and planets in general, were formed. The conventional model holds that early celestial matter formed a hot two-dimensional disk which would eventually became solar systems like ours. The new theory argues for a cold, three-dimensional space which, say the physicists, can better account for why rocky planets sit closer to the sun than gaseous plants and can better explain our moon's existence.
What's the Big Idea?
The model of hot solar systems is at odds with images captured by the Hubble Telescope, which show far-off nebulae producing stars in a three-dimensional environment without great heat expenditures. While it is true that the collapse of matter into planets releases heat, the process is comparable to a freezing glass of water. When water freezes, heat is given off because of the order made by the crystals. But the heat is obviously not enough to heat the glass. Similarly, the solar system extracted only the heat it could contain.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.