H.I.V. Anomalously High in the South
In recent years H.I.V. has begun to take a disproportionate toll on the southern U.S., including rural areas. What explains the disturbing numbers, and what can be done about them?
What's the Latest Development?
While New York and California remain the states most damaged by H.I.V., the southern United States share a surprisingly high burden. Two reasons infection rates have increased in the South, despite what we know today about transmission and prevention, are that individuals delay testing and seek medical attention only in late stages of the disease. "One reason seems to be the strong stigma in the South attached to HIV infection and AIDS, an attitude that is reinforced by many cultural and religious attitudes against homosexuality."
What's the Big Idea?
Another cause of H.I.V. transmission is higher poverty rates in the south as lack of funds delay testing and treatment. "Money cannot cure all the obstacles to improving the HIV picture in the South, but it could certainly help." And while Medicare is facing budget cuts at the federal level, some States are beginning to innovate: "South Carolina has an H.I.V. education program that aims to reduce stigma by reaching out to churches and ministers. Arkansas, for the first time, has allotted funds to test the feasibility of offering routine H.I.V. screening to the general population."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.