Found: One Black Hole for Everyone in New Mexico
Three recently-released papers reveal the discovery of over 2 million space objects, including black holes and extra-bright galaxies, using infrared deep scanning technology.
Article written by guest writer Kecia Lynn
What's the Latest Development?
Three studies recently published in Astrophysical Journal reveal the discovery of about 1,000 potential superbright galaxies (the technical term for them is "hot dust-obscured galaxies," or "hot DOGs") and about 2.5 million supermassive black holes from as far as 10 million light-years away. The astronomers used data released from NASA's Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) mission as the basis for their findings. WISE's infrared technology allowed for deeper scans of the night sky than ever before, displaying objects that were previously impossible to see within the visible light spectrum.
What's the Big Idea?
With the plethora of data available, astronomers are gaining a much better understanding of how galaxies and black holes evolve. For example, behind the space dust that obscured them from Earth's visible-light telescopes, the hot DOGs are generating new stars, and some of them may have formed black holes before forming stars. Considering that a black hole is generally believed to form upon the collapse of a massive star, this new discovery implies that, as one scientist put it, "The 'eggs' may have come before the 'chickens.'"
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Bad outcomes get criticized as evidence of bad decisions, but that's not necessarily so.
- Here, poker pro Annie Duke desribes a simple thought experiment that separates decisions from outcomes.
- It is quite possible to make a very good decision that, due to external factors, results in a bad outcome.
Decide to Play Great Poker: A Strategy Guide to No-Limit Texas Hold '’Em
Lauren Miranda sent a nude selfie to a boyfriend years ago. Somehow one of her students discovered it.
- Math teacher Lauren Miranda was fired from her Long Island school when a topless selfie surfaced.
- Miranda had only shared the photo with her ex-boyfriend, who is also a teacher in the school district.
- She's suing the school for $3 million as well as getting her job back, citing gender discrimination.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.