For Mars Fly-By, Married Couples Are Encouraged To Apply
One reason, says the founder of the Inspiration Mars Foundation, is that participants are "going to need someone [they] can hug" given the length of the mission.
What's the Latest Development?
Dennis Tito, who in 2001 paid a reported $20 million to become the first-ever private space tourist, announced today that his Inspiration Mars Foundation is launching an ambitious project to send two people -- a man and a woman, preferably married to each other -- on a Mars fly-by in 2018. Unlike other private space missions currently being developed, this one is philanthropic in nature, and is designed to inspire people as well as test technologies that could be used for a Mars landing in the future. Tito will fund the first two years of development himself, and will seek private donations for the remaining portion.
What's the Big Idea?
The mission will take advantage of an unusual planetary alignment that will bring Earth and Mars close enough to allow for a relatively easy and quick 501-day round trip. For such a lengthy voyage, Tito says a married couple would be ideal: "When you're out that far and the Earth is a tiny, blue pinpoint, you're going to need someone you can hug...What better solution to the psychological problems you're going to encounter with that isolation?"
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Sharon Salzberg, world-renowned mindfulness leader, teaches meditation at Big Think Edge.
- Try meditation for the first time with this guided lesson or, if you already practice, enjoy being guided by a world-renowned meditation expert.
- Sharon Salzberg teaches mindfulness meditation for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
The navigation tool has placed a school in the sea, among other things.
- Google has apologized for the sudden instability of its maps in Japan.
- Errors may stem from Google's long-time map data provider Zenrin – or from the cancellation of its contract.
- Speculation on the latter option caused Zenrin shares to drop 16% last Friday.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
A new computer model solves a pair of Jovian riddles.
- Astronomers have wondered how a gas giant like Jupiter could sit in the middle of our solar system's planets.
- Also unexplained has been the pair of asteroid clusters in front of and behind Jupiter in its orbit.
- Putting the two questions together revealed the answer to both.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.