Finding Your Inner Cyborg
Small computer implants that read brain activity like radio waves are becoming less invasive and more effective at interfacing with computers. There are a range of commercial uses.
What's the Latest Development?
A small electrode that sits atop the brain, known as an electrocorticographic (ECoG) implant, is the latest and least invasive implant which allows scientists to better understand the brain. "The implants—usually worn for about a week—allow surgeons to study the aberrant brain patterns of patients as they go into seizure and then cut out the damaged brain tissue." The devices seems particularly effective for patients with epilepsy. Beyond health, a range of experimental and commercial uses are currently being developed.
What's the Big Idea?
Scientists developing brain implants see an opportunity to revolutionize the human experience, both in terms of medical care and day-to-day interactions. "Within the next decade, we are likely to see a new kind of implant, designed for healthy people who want to merge with machines." Potential commercial applications include commanding a prosthetic hand, iPhone, computer or car directly with your thoughts. The Army is funding research to develop a telepathic communication system to be used by soldiers on the battle field.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.