Extreme Drought Now Afflicts 80% of California
Dry conditions continue to plague the Golden State as the statewide drought expands. Extreme drought conditions extend from the Oregon Border all throughout Central California and as far south as Orange County.
What's the Latest?
Crisis-level dryness has been a major scourge on the American southwest for the past few years. California, in particular, has been hit hard by drought conditions. Last month, record dryness hit a critical level. Veronica Rocha of the L.A. Times reports nearly 80% of the state experienced "extreme" drought in June. That's the second-highest possible level as classified by the National Weather Service. The highest level -- "exceptional" drought -- affected nearly a quarter of the state. The extreme conditions stretch from the Oregon border all throughout Northern California, through most of Central California, and as far south as Orange County.
What's the Big Idea?
These types of extremely dry conditions are dangerous for many reasons. The lack of moisture in local vegetation puts entire regions at risk for wildfires such as the one currently burning in Napa County. Water shortages result in forced rationing in some parts of the state. The agriculture industry struggles when drought conditions deplete water supplies; the price of fruits and vegetables then shoots up. Considering Central California's importance to America's agriculture industry (the state accounts for 15% of all crops receipts), farmers and economists both are hoping the fall brings the much needed relief summer is not expected to offer.
Keep Reading at the L.A. Times
Photo credit: sddatta / Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Bushier eyebrows are associated with higher levels of narcissism, according to new research.
- Science has provided an excellent clue for identifying the narcissists among us.
- Eyebrows are crucial to recognizing identities.
- The study provides insight into how we process faces and our latent ability to detect toxic people.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
- A recent study used data from several national surveys to compare religiosity, risk-taking preferences and demographic information among more than 20,000 American adolescents.
- The results suggest that risk-taking preferences might partly explain the gender differences in religiosity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.