Extreme Drought Now Afflicts 80% of California
Dry conditions continue to plague the Golden State as the statewide drought expands. Extreme drought conditions extend from the Oregon Border all throughout Central California and as far south as Orange County.
What's the Latest?
Crisis-level dryness has been a major scourge on the American southwest for the past few years. California, in particular, has been hit hard by drought conditions. Last month, record dryness hit a critical level. Veronica Rocha of the L.A. Times reports nearly 80% of the state experienced "extreme" drought in June. That's the second-highest possible level as classified by the National Weather Service. The highest level -- "exceptional" drought -- affected nearly a quarter of the state. The extreme conditions stretch from the Oregon border all throughout Northern California, through most of Central California, and as far south as Orange County.
What's the Big Idea?
These types of extremely dry conditions are dangerous for many reasons. The lack of moisture in local vegetation puts entire regions at risk for wildfires such as the one currently burning in Napa County. Water shortages result in forced rationing in some parts of the state. The agriculture industry struggles when drought conditions deplete water supplies; the price of fruits and vegetables then shoots up. Considering Central California's importance to America's agriculture industry (the state accounts for 15% of all crops receipts), farmers and economists both are hoping the fall brings the much needed relief summer is not expected to offer.
Keep Reading at the L.A. Times
Photo credit: sddatta / Shutterstock
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
How many abortions are actually performed? Numbers reveal the complexity in the raging debate.
- The American society is close to split on the legality of abortions.
- 45,789,558 abortions were carried out in the U.S. between 1970 and 2015.
- The abortion numbers are at an all-time low now, trending almost half of what they were.
The most valuable college majors will prepare students for a world right out a science fiction novel.
- The future of work is going to require a range of skills learned that take into account cutting edge advancements in technology and science.
- The most valuable college majors in the future will prepare students for new economies and areas of commerce.
- Mathematics, engineering and science related educational majors will become an ubiqitous feature of the new job market.
The phenomenon that makes our favourite drinks bubbly is, alarmingly, the same one that causes decompression sickness in divers. Why do we still love it?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.