Extreme Drought Now Afflicts 80% of California
Dry conditions continue to plague the Golden State as the statewide drought expands. Extreme drought conditions extend from the Oregon Border all throughout Central California and as far south as Orange County.
What's the Latest?
Crisis-level dryness has been a major scourge on the American southwest for the past few years. California, in particular, has been hit hard by drought conditions. Last month, record dryness hit a critical level. Veronica Rocha of the L.A. Times reports nearly 80% of the state experienced "extreme" drought in June. That's the second-highest possible level as classified by the National Weather Service. The highest level -- "exceptional" drought -- affected nearly a quarter of the state. The extreme conditions stretch from the Oregon border all throughout Northern California, through most of Central California, and as far south as Orange County.
What's the Big Idea?
These types of extremely dry conditions are dangerous for many reasons. The lack of moisture in local vegetation puts entire regions at risk for wildfires such as the one currently burning in Napa County. Water shortages result in forced rationing in some parts of the state. The agriculture industry struggles when drought conditions deplete water supplies; the price of fruits and vegetables then shoots up. Considering Central California's importance to America's agriculture industry (the state accounts for 15% of all crops receipts), farmers and economists both are hoping the fall brings the much needed relief summer is not expected to offer.
Keep Reading at the L.A. Times
Photo credit: sddatta / Shutterstock
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
- Spinning discs are everywhere – just look at our solar system, the rings of Saturn, and all the spiral galaxies in the universe.
- Spinning discs are the result of two things: The force of gravity and a phenomenon in physics called the conservation of angular momentum.
- Gravity brings matter together; the closer the matter gets, the more it accelerates – much like an ice skater who spins faster and faster the closer their arms get to their body. Then, this spinning cloud collapses due to up and down and diagonal collisions that cancel each other out until the only motion they have in common is the spin – and voila: A flat disc.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.