E-Readers Shown To Help Some Dyslexic Readers
Newly published in PLOS ONE is a study in which students showed improved speed and comprehension when reading short lines of text on the devices.
What's the Latest Development?
While many debate the merits of electronic readers versus good old-fashioned paper books, at least one group may want to consider going digital: A study involving students with dyslexia showed that, when the two media were compared, "those who struggled most with sight-word reading read faster and those with limited visual attention spans had better comprehension" with e-readers. The study was recently published online at PLOS ONE.
What's the Big Idea?
Lead researcher Matthew Schneps pointed out that the key difference may not be just the medium, but the way the text was displayed. Arranging words so that there are only a few on each line "could apply on paper, the blackboard or on any device." E-readers benefit such users in that it's much easier to adjust fonts, font sizes, spacing, and other typographic features. A representative from the British Dyslexia Association also noted that e-readers offer quick access to dictionary definitions and text-to-speech capabilities, both of which help "ensure that reading is less challenging and remove the stigma that is so often associated for those who can't read."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.