Discovered: A Chemical That Prevents Brain Tissue Death
More tests are needed, but if the chemical can be made into a drug, it could represent a powerful weapon in the fight against neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and multiple sclerosis.
What's the Latest Development?
A research team from the Medical Research Council Toxicology Unit at the University of Leicester has discovered a chemical that stops the death of brain cells in mice suffering from a neurodegenerative disease similar to Alzheimer's in humans. The team focused on the ways brain cells defend themselves from a virus. Normally, when attacked, the virus creates a protein buildup, and cells shut down protein production to prevent the virus' spread. Neurodegenerative diseases also cause a buildup of proteins, and cells respond similarly. However, the proteins stay, and the shutdown lasts so long that the cells eventually die. The team developed a compound that kept the cells' defense mechanisms from working. Details were published in a recent issue of Science Translational Medicine.
What's the Big Idea?
This is the first time a compound has been identified that completely prevents neurodegeneration, according to Leicester professor and lead researcher Giovanna Mallucci: "This isn't the compound you would use in people, but it means we can do it and it's a start." Roger Morris of King’s College London believes the discovery could "be judged by history as a turning point in the search for medicines to control and prevent Alzheimer's disease."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.