Can the Brain Recover From Alcoholism?
Evidence shows that heavy alcohol use modifies the structure and physiology of the brain, although the extent of recovery after years of abstinence is remains uncertain.
What's the Latest Development?
Recent brain scans have revealed that chronic alcoholism can damage the cerebellum, the part of the brain that plays an important role in regulating motor control, attention and language, says Richard Ridderinkhof, professor of neurocognitive development and aging at the University of Amsterdam. "It can also cause the prefrontal cortex to shrink and degrade, potentially impairing decision-making skills and social behavior." The white matter connecting brain regions can also be damaged.
What's the Big Idea?
To what extent can the brain recover from prolonged alcoholism? After comparing former alcoholics who have long abstained from drink to those who have always drunk minimally, researchers believe that brain regions can return to their original volume and that connections across different regions can be repaired. In some regions, however, the damage caused by alcohol abuse appears permanent. The hippocampus, for example, which regulates long-term memory and spacial navigation, does not seem to recover.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.