Atlantis Makes Space Station Delivery
The International Space Station received a year's worth of supplies in a giant shopping cart yesterday, courtesy of the astronauts on N.A.S.A.'s final shuttle flight made by Atlantis.
What's the Latest Development?
Astronauts at the International Space Station (I.S.S.) have received a year's worth of supplies from the crew aboard the Atlantis, the last of N.A.S.A.'s space shuttles to ever visit the I.S.S. as the program will be terminated once the current mission in completed. The I.S.S. crew received more than a ton of food, including a bag of fresh fruit, new clothes and spare parts for the Space Station. "Astronauts Sandra Magnus and Douglas Hurley used the space station's hulking robot arm to hoist the bus-size container out of Atlantis's payload bay and attach it to the orbiting outpost."
What's the Big Idea?
The I.S.S. and N.A.S.A.'s shuttle program were two peas in a pod and both have outlived their expected lifespan by decades. In fact, the continuation of the shuttle program was based nearly entirely on the need to restock the I.S.S. Now that the space shuttle will no longer be an option, what is the future of the Space Station and of space flight in general? In the near future, the Russian national space program will be relied upon to carry astronauts and crew into orbit. And eventually, private American space ventures hope to assume many of N.A.S.A.'s current responsibilities.
Researchers discover a link between nonverbal synchronization and relationship success.
- Scientists say coordinating movements leads to increased intimacy and sexual desire in a couple.
- The improved rapport and empathy was also observed in people who didn't know each other.
- Non-verbal clues are very important in the development stages of a relationship.
Humans evolved to live in the cold through a number of environmental and genetic factors.
- According to some relatively new research, many of our early human cousins preceded Homo sapien migrations north by hundreds of thousands or even millions of years.
- Cross-breeding with other ancient hominids gave some subsets of human population the genes to contend and thrive in colder and harsher climates.
- Behavioral and dietary changes also helped humans adapt to cold climates.
The comics titan worked for more than half a century to revolutionize and add nuance to the comics industry, and he built a vast community of fans along the way.
- Lee died shortly after being rushed to an L.A. hospital. He had been struggling with multiple illnesses over the past year, reports indicate.
- Since the 1950s, Lee has been one of the most influential figures in comics, helping to popularize heroes that expressed a level of nuance and self-doubt previously unseen in the industry.
- Lee, who's later years were marked by some financial and legal tumult, is survived by his daughter, Joan Celia "J.C." Lee.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.