The SEC is charging a psychic with fraud after he received and diverted over $6 million from those who believed he could accurately predict market forces and natural disasters.
The SEC is charging a psychic with fraud after he received and diverted over $6 million from those who believed he could accurately predict market forces and natural disasters. "The SEC has charged Sean David Morton, a self-described 'natural psychic, trained Remote Viewer, intuitive consultant, investigative reporter, and accomplished award winning director, screenwriter and film and TV producer,' with securities fraud. Morton, who is known as 'America's Prophet' allegedly solicited investors through a newsletter in which he claimed, 'I have called ALL the highs and lows of the market giving EXACT DATES for rises and crashes over the last 14 years.' His company is called Delphi Associates. Over 100 people sent Morton $6 million since 2006 to invest in foreign currency trading, according to the SEC. The SEC charges that Morton and his wife allegedly 'diverted at least $240,000 of investor funds' to their Prophecy Research Institute. The SEC complaint charitably refers to that as a 'religious organization.' Morton also allegedly 'falsely claimed that the profits in the accounts were audited and certified.'"
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
It marks a major shift in the government's battle against the opioid crisis.
- The nation's sixth-largest drug distributor is facing criminal charges related to failing to report suspicious drug orders, among other things.
- It marks the first time a drug company has faced criminal charges for distributing opioids.
- Since 1997, nearly 222,000 Americans have died from prescription opioids, partly thanks to unethical doctors who abuse the system.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
The real Game of Thrones might be who best leverages the hit HBO show to shape political narratives.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren argues that Game of Thrones is primarily about women in her review of the wildly popular HBO show.
- Warren also touches on other parallels between the show and our modern world, such as inequality, political favoritism of the elite, and the dire impact of different leadership styles on the lives of the people.
- Her review serves as another example of using Game of Thrones as a political analogy and a tool for framing political narratives.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.