A New Way to Treat Employees
Creating a good team of employees requires more than treating them like worker bees. The best businesses are learning to engage their employees just like they engage their best customers.
What's the Latest Development?
Just as companies exploit new media to reach out to their best customers, businesses should empower their own employees in similar ways. And just as companies must realize their customers are more than buying machines, they must treat their employees as entire people, as well. That means accepting the use of social media applications for purposes other than strictly work-related activities. When employees are tapped into these personal channels, their creativity flows and that is good for business.
What's the Big Idea?
A whole person does a better job than half a person so allowing your office to focus on who they are while realizing the company's values is the good strategy for arriving at creative solutions, not to mention creating a healthy work environment and employee fidelity. And when you see the whole of a person, you learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, allowing a better, more complete team to form. Thanks to new media, the boundaries between work and life are being erased and business should capitalize on that change.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
These quick bursts of inspiration will brighten your day in 10 minutes or less.
Explore a legendary philosopher's take on how society fails to prepare us for education and progress.
- Alan Watts was an instrumental figure in the 1960s counterculture revolution.
- He believed that we put too much of a focus on intangible goals for our educational and professional careers.
- Watts believed that the whole educational enterprise is a farce compared to how we should be truly living our lives.
How can we use the resources that are already on the Moon to make human exploration of the satellite as economical as possible?
If you were transported to the Moon this very instant, you would surely and rapidly die. That's because there's no atmosphere, the surface temperature varies from a roasting 130 degrees Celsius (266 F) to a bone-chilling minus 170 C (minus 274 F). If the lack of air or horrific heat or cold don't kill you then micrometeorite bombardment or solar radiation will. By all accounts, the Moon is not a hospitable place to be.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.