from the world's big
Genius Series: The most influential scientist of all time
Big Think has launched a line of apparel and goods that celebrate the life and work of four geniuses.
- Big Think has just launched its Genius Series of tees, sweatshirts, posters and more! Buy here.
- Our third genius is Sir Isaac Newton. His contributions to science are nearly impossible to overstate.
- Select Rush or Super Rush Delivery to get your order before Christmas Day!
If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants.
– Isaac Newton
Isaac Newton is perhaps the most influential scientist of all time. He discovered and formulated the law of gravity, the classical laws of motion, the nature of color and optics, and invented calculus in his spare time. He invented the reflecting telescope, determined why the planets don't move in perfect circles, and he later went on to invent the little indentations around the side of coins when he was the Master of the Mint for Great Britain. His contributions to science are nearly impossible to overstate.
He's also the reason behind Neil deGrasse Tyson's classic meme.
Neil deGrasse Tyson: My man, Sir Isaac Newton
A new study looks at what would happen to human language on a long journey to other star systems.
- A new study proposes that language could change dramatically on long space voyages.
- Spacefaring people might lose the ability to understand the people of Earth.
- This scenario is of particular concern for potential "generation ships".
Generation Ships<span style="display:block;position:relative;padding-top:56.25%;" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="a1e6445c7168d293a6da3f9600f534a2"><iframe type="lazy-iframe" data-runner-src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H2f0Wd3zNj0?rel=0" width="100%" height="auto" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;"></iframe></span>
Many of the most popular apps are about self-improvement.
Emotions are the newest hot commodity, and we can't get enough.
Join multiple Tony and Emmy Award-winning actress Judith Light live on Big Think at 2 pm ET on Monday.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.