Help Rick Smith Help The Homeless and Hungry this Holiday
My friends at the Rick Smith Show ("Where Working People Come to Talk") are camping out in a supermarket parking lot in sub-zero temperatures to collect food and donations for needy people in their community.
Please help them out:
Homelessness and poverty continues to plague the region. That's why starting December 18th we'll be raising awareness by camping in the parking lot at the Giant supermarket at 255 South Spring Garden Street in Carlisle, PA. We will raise cash and food donations for Carlisle C.A.R.E.S, and Project SHARE.
To donate please do so to the right. We will be streaming the entire event on this page and over UStream. As always we'll be doing the live show from 9PM-12AM and then the weekend show 12PM-2PM.
Can't stop by with a can of food? Don't worry. It's easy to donate online. Make a contribution here. The food bank will use your contribution to buy groceries at bulk prices, so even more nourishment goes to those who need it.
Thanks to the members of AFSCME Local 2456 ● District Council 89 for their generous donation.
[Photo credit: Per Ola Wiberg ~ Powi, Creative Commons.]
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Neuroscience research suggests it might be time to rethink our ideas about when exactly a child becomes an adult.
- Research suggests that most human brains take about 25 years to develop, though these rates can vary among men and women, and among individuals.
- Although the human brain matures in size during adolescence, important developments within the prefrontal cortex and other regions still take pace well into one's 20s.
- The findings raise complex ethical questions about the way our criminal justice systems punishes criminals in their late teens and early 20s.
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbor is... Mercury!
A new method of growing mini-brains produces some startling results.
- Researchers find a new and inexpensive way to keep organoids growing for a year.
- Axons from the study's organoids attached themselves to embryonic mouse spinal cord cells.
- The mini-brains took control of muscles connected to the spinal cords.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.