The Price of Sex in South America: A Guide for Secret Service Agents
Heading to South America to protect your head of state? Avoid potentially embarrassing conflict with this handy region guide to the price of sexual services prepared by a team of trained economists.
Researchers have created a nationally representative data set that includes the per-transaction prices charged by 3,000 sex workers in Ecuador (2004). From that data we can back out the per-transaction price of sex workers who are specifically selling sex to wealthy foreign men in nightclubs, bars and brothels.
Given that sex work is not illegal in Ecuador, or in its neighboring countries, and that there is fairly free trade within the region, the price of sexual services in Ecuador should be representative of the price of sexual services in neighboring countries (like, oh…let’s just use Colombia as an example).
Sex workers operating specifically out of bars, nightclubs and brothels (unlicensed for sex work) in Ecuador earn an average of $5.20 per hour and $105 per week (with an average of 19 clients per week).
Sex workers who work on the street, which is unregulated and much riskier, in Ecuador, earn an average of about $4.20 per hour and $67 per week (with an average of 13 clients per week).
To calculate the price of an individual service we need to start with the average per-transaction price of $5.41 and then add to that depending on which services are wanted and the nature of the client.
The following services as a guide for those buying sex in nightclubs and bars:
The attractiveness of the sex worker has very little effect on the price paid, but younger sex workers do charge slightly more than do older sex workers.
Using this guide we can see that a rich foreigner who wanted to have vaginal sex with a condom could expect to pay a whooping $6.40 for that service. The same client wanting anal sex could expect to pay about $8.50 for that service. The same services without a condom would be about $7.20 and $9.36.
In this market, $30 should provide enough sex to exhaust the most virile of men.
Of course these results include no controls for how much you will have to pay if the sex worker realizes that you will probably lose your job if it was found out that you spent the night with her. Recent estimates have placed that cost in the $250 - $800 range. However, as we seen, it is best to pay that fee without putting up too much of a fuss.
Gertler, Paul and Manisha Shah (2009). “Sex Work and Infection: What’s Law Enforcement Got to Do with it?”
To create wiser adults, add empathy to the school curriculum.
- Stories are at the heart of learning, writes Cleary Vaughan-Lee, Executive Director for the Global Oneness Project. They have always challenged us to think beyond ourselves, expanding our experience and revealing deep truths.
- Vaughan-Lee explains 6 ways that storytelling can foster empathy and deliver powerful learning experiences.
- Global Oneness Project is a free library of stories—containing short documentaries, photo essays, and essays—that each contain a companion lesson plan and learning activities for students so they can expand their experience of the world.
An extinction events expert sounds a dire warning.
- The supervolcano in Yellowstone National Park could cause an "ultra-catastrophe," warns an extinction events writer.
- The full eruption of the volcano last happened 640,000 years ago.
- The blast could kill billions and make United States uninhabitable.
Just before I turned 60, I discovered that sharing my story by drawing could be an effective way to both alleviate my symptoms and combat that stigma.
I've lived much of my life with anxiety and depression, including the negative feelings – shame and self-doubt – that seduced me into believing the stigma around mental illness: that people knew I wasn't good enough; that they would avoid me because I was different or unstable; and that I had to find a way to make them like me.
A joint study by two England universities explores the link between sex and cognitive function with some surprising differences in male and female outcomes in old age.
- A joint study by the universities of Coventry and Oxford in England has linked sexual activity with higher cognitive abilities in older age.
- The results of this study suggest there are significant associations between sexual activity and number sequencing/word recall in men. In women, however, there was a significant association between sexual activity in word recall alone - number sequencing was not impacted.
- The differences in testosterone (the male sex hormone) and oxytocin (a predominantly female hormone) may factor into why the male cognitive level changes much more during sexual activity in older age.
Mathematicians studied 100 billion tweets to help computer algorithms better understand our colloquial digital communication.