Digital kids. Analog schools.
I recently compiled a short list of quotations that have greatly influenced my thinking about schools, technology, and the future. I've been handing it out to K-12 administrators to spark their thinking about schools' obligations to prepare students for a digital society. I'm including it here and encourage you to disseminate it broadly. Pass this out to the staff in a school building, or to a group of administrators, and then ask them what they think! Get a conversation started!
On a different front, Consuela Molina is a student at UCLA, a gifted videographer, and a graduate of the San Fernando Education Technology Team (SFETT). Molina's video, Digital Kids @ Analog Schools, should be required viewing for secondary educators, college faculty, and university administrators. Here are some choice quotes from the video:
- We have all this access to technology - something that can help us learn better - something that can help us personalize learning - and professors don't really seem to get that.
It's easy to substitute teacher or school for professor or college and see the relevance of this video to K-12 schools. If you are not familiar with the work of Marco Torres or the SFETT, you can read the two articles on his Edutopia profile.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.