Husk Power: A Sustainable, Affordable Alternative to Kerosene Lamps
In rural India, over half of all households don't have electricity. To light households and power commercial equipment, villages use kerosene lanterns, which are both expensive and environmentally harmful. But there seems to be a smarter, cheaper, more sustainable alternative to electricity. Husk Power Systems is an innovative biomass gasification technology that converts rice husks – an abundant resource in rural agricultural communities – into combustible gases driving a generator to produce clean, safe, efficient and affordable electricity.
By the end of the year, HPS anticipates to have 50 plants in place, electrifying 125 villages, hoping to deploy 2000 plants in 5,000 villages in the long term, creating some 6,000 jobs.
Funded by social entrepreneurship venture Acumen Fund, HPS offers a smart solution for turning biomass waste into a useful, sustainable, affordable energy resource for areas where light – something we take for granted – is a key to everything from education to employment to safety.
Maria Popova is the editor of Brain Pickings, a curated inventory of miscellaneous interestingness. She writes for Wired UK, GOOD Magazine and Huffington Post, and spends a shameful amount of time on Twitter.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.