Car-Cycle Rack: Reclaiming Parking Space for Bikes
Maria Popova is a reader and a writer, and writes about what she reads on Brain Pickings (brainpickings.org), which is included in the Library of Congress archive of culturally valuable materials. She has also written for The New York Times, Wired UK, and The Atlantic, among others, and is an MIT Fellow. She is on Twitter @brainpicker.
A bike-sharing programs and cycling infrastructure continue to slowly gain traction in cities, it often becomes a matter of making physical room for the two-wheel lifestyle and reclaiming urban space from the grip of concrete and cars. Bulgarian designer Ilian Milinov has an unorthodox solution: Car-Cycle Rack, car-shaped bike rack that transforms a single car parking space into 15 spots for bikes.
Part design solution, part political statement, the concept was a finalist at the IIDA 2010 global design competition and aptly reflects this year's competition theme of "Green Heart" – a call for using design as a marriage of sustainability and civic joy.
images via designboom
Maria Popova is the editor of Brain Pickings, a curated inventory of miscellaneous interestingness. She writes for Wired UK, GOOD Magazine, Design Observer and Huffington Post, and spends a shameful amount of time on Twitter.
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.