Gore Concert Generates Talk Media Attacks But Not News
Gore's Live Earth concert series was supposed to catalyze American public attention around the problem of global warming, but did it? Polling data is not yet available regarding the concert's impact on American audiences, but we do have data relative to the concert's influence on the U.S. news agenda.
According to Pew's Media Index, during the week of the event, the Live Earth concert failed to generate much actual mainstream news attention, but it did make the agenda at the "talk media," which Pew defines as including seven prime time cable shows and five radio talk hosts. As Pew reports, the attention at the Talk Media was almost completely one sided negative. Fox News led the way, with Hannity fronting his show with Gore and RFK Jr. (clip above) and guest host Rich Lowry focusing on the participation of "alleged terrorist sympathizer" Cat Stevens (clip below).
Top Ten Stories in the Talk Show Index
1. Iraq Policy Debate - 22%
2. US Domestic Terror Threat - 9%
3. Campaign 2008 - 8%
4. International War on Terror - 7%
5. Global Warming - 6%
6. DC Escort Scandal - 5%
7. Congress - 3%
8. Fired Attorneys Scandal - 3%
9. Wrestler Crime - 2%
10. Health Care Debate - 1%
Top Ten Stories in the broader News Coverage Index
1. Iraq Policy Debate - 20%
2. Campaign 2008 - 7%
3. International War on Terror - 4%
4. US Domestic Terror Threat - 4%
5. Events in Iraq - 4%
6. Lady Bird Johnson Dies - 4%
7. Pakistan Mosque Siege - 2%
8. 2003 Pizza Bomber Case - 2%
9. Fired Attorneys Scandal - 2%
10. DC Escort Scandal - 2%
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.