Which architects do you most identify with?
Question: Which architects do you most identify with?
Lee Mindel: I wouldn’t say necessarily identify with but respect and admire the way they think and the way they create, the way they create, the way they build. It goes back to ---- all the way back to Michaelangelo and to Bernini and its Stonehenge from very primitive things through the change in the 20th century whether it’s Adolph Ogner and Adolph Luce and Joseph Hoffman and then Corbett Seang [phonetic] and the future is, I mean it’s hard to isolate out one because all of them play a kind of tactic inhistory and the late Louis Conn has struggled so much, but I had the good fortune to actually attend his lectures. He was a poet about architecture and he could distill things down to their very essence and that’s a great lesson to learn how you take something down to what it really means and its true meaning and fine meaning and let all the distractions fall away because ideas are timeless and when something is honest its timeless. It’s not an ‘ism’, those are fashion movements, but the great Lucon and there are so many wonderful people like Calatrava, heard of them and Demiurge and Zaga, Frankurie on and on and on that do beautiful work.
Recorded On: 6/1/07
The list starts at Stonehenge.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.