What can you learn today from America's youth?
Question: What can you learn today from America's youth?
Mike Gravel: The phenomenon of the Internet. The phenomenon . . . If I told you that one of my IT persons was a 17 year old kid working independent – he’s out a distance – and whenever I got a problem with my computer I pick up the telephone and I call him. “I can’t do this,” and he walks me through it. And I’ve got a lot of problems because I’ve got a PC that I’ve been using for a long time, and I just moved to the Apple which I find out is a better instrument. And so I’m stuck in between the two. So what can the young people . . . We’ve gotta be mature about this. Young people can be sort of sophomoric. You know they’ve got all the answers. No well what we have to realize is that it’s their world. And whenever I speak to the young people, hey I’m long gone. It’s your world. It’s presently getting screwed up. If you don’t do something about it, you’re gonna live with it. You know maybe 10, 15 years I’m gone. It’s your world. Pay attention. Reason. Reason it out. Don’t just take the given information by American media that this is really what’s going on in the world. American media can be very good, but it can be very lousy, and very biased, and sold out. If our political system is sold out by the pound, American media is sold out in the same way. And that’s the difficulty we have. And that’s . . . and the only solution that I know to that problem is to empower the American people; to bring them into the picture with real power. And the only real power that counts is making laws. And I don’t buy this language that people gotta take back America. People have never had America. We got pushed out of the picture from the get-go in the hot summer in 1787 in Pennsylvania.
Recorded on: 10/23/07
The phenomenon of the Internet is one lesson that America's youth teaches well, Mike Gravel says.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.