Re: What is Ronald Reagan's legacy?
Ken Adelman is currently vice-president of Movers and Shakespeares, which conducts executive training through leadership lessons from Shakespeare. Ambassador Adelman began teaching Shakespeare in 1977 at Georgetown University, and later with honors students at George Washington University.
During the Reagan Administration, Ken Adelman was an Ambassador to the United Nations and then Director of the U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency, accompanying President Reagan on his superpower summits with Mikhail Gorbachev.
Adelman was a philosophy major at Grinnell College and then attended Georgetown University, where he received a Masters in Foreign Service Studies and Doctorate in Political Theory.
He is the author of five books -- including co-author of Shakespeare in Charge -- and hundreds of articles, was for 20 years national editor of Washingtonian magazine, and for six years a member of the Defense Policy Board.
While living in Africa from 1972 to 1975, Adelman translated for Mohammed Ali during “The Rumble in the Jungle” heavyweight championship fight in Zaire, and participated in the Zaire River Expedition, venturing down the Congo River on the 100th Anniversary of Stanley’s exploration.
Ken Adelman: I did feel proud of working with Reagan. And when he signed the only nuclear arms control agreement that eliminated an entire class of. . .. The IMF treaty .... And .... nice accomplishment. Like I say, 93% of the credit of that treaty goes to Ron Reagan. He’s the guy. And the rest of us advisors, we fell in that 7%. But of that 7%, I had . . . . And it was fun to be part of a . . . like that that did such good. Now he will never give credit, because the liberals were talking about arms control all the time. They never said, “Well what was the president . . . who was the president who really gave us the best arms control agreement in history?” They’ll never ask that question. They’ll say, “Reagan was such a right-wing blah, blah, blah,” like that. So it was such a disconnect between the accomplishment that Reagan had and, you know, the conservative bug-a-boo that most intellectuals . . .to tell you the truth. Not just, you know, liberals, but most intellectuals feel that, “Oh my gosh. These other liberal presidents were doing so much more,” which is not true. Reagan brought home on the bacon and . . .
Recorded on: 7/2/07
Reagan should be remembered as the president that gave us the best arms control agreement, Adelman says.
How a cataclysm worse than what killed the dinosaurs destroyed 90 percent of all life on Earth.
While the demise of the dinosaurs gets more attention as far as mass extinctions go, an even more disastrous event called "the Great Dying” or the “End-Permian Extinction” happened on Earth prior to that. Now scientists discovered how this cataclysm, which took place about 250 million years ago, managed to kill off more than 90 percent of all life on the planet.
A new study discovers the “liking gap” — the difference between how we view others we’re meeting for the first time, and the way we think they’re seeing us.
We tend to be defensive socially. When we meet new people, we’re often concerned with how we’re coming off. Our anxiety causes us to be so concerned with the impression we’re creating that we fail to notice that the same is true of the other person as well. A new study led by Erica J. Boothby, published on September 5 in Psychological Science, reveals how people tend to like us more in first encounters than we’d ever suspect.
Using advanced laser technology, scientists at NASA will track global changes in ice with greater accuracy.
Leaving from Vandenberg Air Force base in California this coming Saturday, at 8:46 a.m. ET, the Ice, Cloud, and Land Elevation Satellite-2 — or, the "ICESat-2" — is perched atop a United Launch Alliance Delta II rocket, and when it assumes its orbit, it will study ice layers at Earth's poles, using its only payload, the Advance Topographic Laser Altimeter System (ATLAS).
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.