Open-Source Means User-Focused.
Avner Ronen: To us, that means that whatever we do, almost everything that we do is in the public sphere as every line of code that we’re writing. When you download Boxee, you can download the source code. And that means that people can, you know, look at whatever we’ve done. They can improve on it. They can add to it.
We’re working together with a project called XBMC, it’s the XBox Media Center, that’s what it use to be. And those are people from all over the world, Australia, France, Germany, Israel, US, New Zealand, all over. And they’re coming together once a year now. And we’re spending time with them and we’re going over, you know, what can be done more, where do we need to focus, and that sort of stuff.
But at the end of day, it’s not managed, open source, its people doing it at their free time based on their passion. And the innovation is really dependent on how much the community is active. You cannot drive… It’s not an organized process.
I think for Boxee, it’s great. We have a small team where 12 people. Because it’s an open source project, there’re many more people contributing. So that makes it much easier for us to deal with development challenges.
And I hope that would also help us keep an edge because, if we don’t have a certain idea or direction, but someone else out there has that idea and he’s passionate enough about Boxee, he can mess around with the source code on his own. So I think, overall, it’s very positive for us. It’s important for the industry to have a solution that is open source in that space. So it’s not just controlled by big corporations.
And, overall, the result of it being open source means that Boxee is always going to be very user focused ‘cause if we’re going to be failing on that mission, someone is just going to take the open source code that is out there and build a better product. So that keeps us on our edge. It’s good.
Avner Ronen: I think, we probably need to get better at it, I mean, working even closer with the community. Because right now, we’re, you know, chasing our own deadlines and sometimes patches are being submitted or there’s a new code that is available for us and we just don’t get to integrate it. So I think we need to improve on it.
But overall, it’s a huge opportunity to be able to work with all those different people in different places and get the benefit of, you know, their innovation. I think there’re only upsides there.
Recorded on: April 20, 2009
Boxee CEO Avner Ronen on the challenges and opportunities of open source.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.