Keith Gessen on Fitzgerald: Defending A Title
Question: How did you summon the courage to use Fitzgerald's title for your book?
Keith Gessen: You know, I’ve been puzzled by this reaction to the title because it seems to me to be so clearly a joke- right? Fitzgerald wrote these very beautiful stories that I love- they’re very sentimental. And, you know, very sharp- they’re great. The Rich Boys is one of my favorite stories of all time- Winter Dreams- it’s a great story. You know, so- and he called his book with a slightly sentimental title: All The Sad Young Men. When you add the word literary, it seems very clearly to be a joke- All The Sad Young Literary Men- that’s not sentimental, that’s funny, I thought. So, now did I desecrate F. Scott Fitzgerald? Maybe. And I apologize, but I certainly, I certainly meant it in a satiric vein.
Gessen's title harks back to a work by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and some readers aren't pleased.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.