David Rieff Calls For the Legalization of Drugs
Question: Could legalization help solve the narco war?
Rieff: It’s essential. I mean, obviously, this is… It’s the key question. If you legalized drugs, you would destroy the [razon] of these cartels, whether the social price of doing so in terms of the harm people would do themselves would be greater as the anti-drug legalizers have argued. And it’s an argument that so far is [dispositive] in terms of public policy. I don’t know. I’m a legalizer myself. I don’t think there’s anymore chance of “winning the ‘war on drugs’” than there was with probation. But obviously, that’s still not a view that has much traction. And if we militarize the war against the major Mexican drug cartels, I would’ve thought that made legalization less likely rather more likely because we’ll get involved in… People will have kind of skin in the game of that drug war. And therefore, you know, will be focused on that. That’s what I think will happen. I mean, obviously, what’s… what the Obama… It’s already clear that what the Obama administration plans to do is a kind of plan Colombia for Mexico. That is in… large infusions of military equipment advisers, money, and… I mean, that’s already on the cords. We know that’s going to happen. Two years from now, if it doesn’t work, maybe they’ll reconsider but I doubt it.
The author says legalizing drugs in the US would greatly help the civil
conflict in Mexico.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
The history of the Geneva Conventions tells us how the international community draws the line on brutality.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Four Geneva Conventions defined the rules for prisoners of war, torture, naval and medical personnel and more.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.