Craig Newmark is Not an Ideologue
Newmark: The term ideology has been pretty badly abused. One take an ideology as this Liberal-Conservative spectrum which is purely destructive these days. There’s ideology implicit in American values. Again, the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and I pretty much go with that, along with the notion, again, that you want to treat people like you want to be treated. You want to get stuff done, you want to figure out what works. You want to alleviate suffering when you can. That’s a kind of ideology. I have fully bought into that. That seems to be the ideology, if you want to call that, of the new administration. The idea is to forget, to some extent, about political parties to get done what people need in this country to be done, and I’m onboard.
Question: Are you an activist?
Newmark: I’m not an activist, I’m just a guy, from my point of view, who is standing up for other people. This is a new and exciting time and, remember I do customer service at Craigslist [IB] and I’ve been doing that for almost 14 years now, and that’s kind of routine. But now and then I have this time machine fantasy, what would life be if I was around during the war for independence, maybe World War II, maybe [the beat] era? Right now, we’re in the middle of an era kind of like all that and more. The course of human history is changing right now, and we’re all part of that to the extent we want to be, and I guess I’m playing a, oh, a microscopic role, but it’s something.
Craig Newmark says he just supports doing what needs to get done to move the country forward.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.