Clayton Christensen on Healthcare Pioneers
Christensen: Let me talk about providers that are organized in a way that enable them to deliver the right care at the right price. There’s a set of providers that we call an integrated fixed fee provider, and that is, these people employ their own doctors so the doctors can be compensated by keeping their patients well, not when they get sick. And they charge their patients, they charge their members a fixed annual fee and then provide whatever care is needed within that fee. But that means that the organization itself profits from keeping the patients well, whereas most of healthcare, the only way you can profit is when the patient gets sick. So, Kaiser Permanente in Northern California is one of these. Inter Mountain Healthcare in Utah and Idaho looks like that. Geisinger in Pennsylvania looks like that. The Mayo Clinic is structured like that. And they’re the ones I think that are best positioned to execute the kind of disruption that has to occur.
The Harvard Business School professor talks about how is changing the healthcare industry.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.