Move over SSRIs, Advil is on the way.
- A new study found that anti-inflammatory medications provide "reasonably safe" relief from depression.
- The meta-analysis discovered that 26 out of 30 studies showed the efficacy of NSAIDs, omega-3s, and others help combat mental health issues.
- While an important advancement in treating depression, root causes of inflammation, such as diet and stress, should be addressed first.
Switching over to a vegan-based diet can drastically cut CO2 emissions. But will Americans actually change their diet?
- According to researchers at Oxford University, meat is around 35 times more damaging than serving of greens.
- Going vegan for just two-thirds of meals while still occasionally indulging in animal products would cut food-related greenhouse-gas emissions by almost 60 percent.
- As veganism goes mainstream among younger Americans, we might be witnessing a Western diet revolution.
A new survey highlights the side effects of using Google to self-diagnose.
- A new survey of Americans suggests that online self-diagnosing often leads to stress and unreliable information.
- Forty percent of respondents said they had received inaccurate diagnoses online.
- Still, symptom-checkers can be useful, especially for determining when to go to the hospital.
Your microbiome begins in your mouth. Why don't we look there more often?
- Eighty percent of patients who've had heart attacks have gum disease, says Dr. Shahrzad Fattahi.
- Oral health is also implicated in forms of cancer, dementia, canker sores, and more.
- Fattahi says the future of medicine must also focus on saliva, as a whole new field of salivary diagnostics is emerging.
The key? Focus on flavor.