Stressed? Work out anyway.
Can Impossible Foods beat other brands — like Beyond Meat and Tyson — in the war to dominate the alternative meat industry?
- The Impossible Burger will be available in 27 Gelson's Markets stores in Southern California starting Sept. 20.
- Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods sell plant-based burgers in restaurants, but only Beyond Meat sells products in grocery stores.
- Tyson could begin to edge out these smaller companies with its unique meat product that contains plant and animal components, appealing to health-conscious "flexitarians."
A new research article states that the obesity epidemic is affecting more than just waistlines.
- While the cost of food waste is high, the environmental impact of obesity is even higher.
- According to researchers in Italy, obesity results in an extra 140 billion tons of food consumption every year.
- Obesity costs Americans $1.72 trillion in healthcare costs and is now the leading cause of death.
After China stopped accepting recylables, California was put in a tough place.
- California attempted to ban single use plastics by 2030.
- The bill couldn't pass through the necessary channels and was stopped by industry lobbyists.
- Microplastics and plastic pollution in general are becoming increasingly more detrimental to the environment.
Some critics say the move is designed to shield those who profited from the dangerous drug.
- Purdue Pharma is facing thousands of lawsuits that allege the decades-old drug company misleadingly marketed the opioid OxyContin.
- On Sunday, Purdue filed for bankruptcy after reaching a tentative settlement deal with some of the parties suing the company.
- The deal, which some plaintiffs have already rejected, calls for a potential payout of up to $12 billion and for the company to restructure itself.