The Right to Be Left Alone
Larry Flynt: We’ve got to start leaving people alone unless they’re violating the law.
Larry Flynt is the President of Larry Flynt Publications, which produces pornographic videos and magazines, including Hustler. Flynt is a political activist, and has been involved in numerous court cases involving First Amendment issues. The most notable case was Hustler Magazine v. Falwell (1988), in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that an offensive ad in Hustler parodying the Reverend Jerry Falwell was protected speech. Flynt is paralyzed from the waist down as a result of being shot in a 1978 assassination attempt.
The greatest right that any nation can afford its people is the right to be left alone and that’s what we’ve got to do. We’ve got to start leaving people alone unless they’re violating the law.
That’s very important, but the government seems to always want to be more intrusive into our private lives and the problem with that is that most people are so passive and ignorant that they stand still and allow this to happen. They think they don’t have a voice, they can’t make a difference.
But you can make a difference and you need to create a revolving door in Washington and keep voting those politicians out until they get it, until they understand that they have to be more responsive to the people.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Both schizophrenics and people with a common personality type share similar brain patterns.
- A new study shows that people with a common personality type share brain activity with patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
- The study gives insight into how the brain activity associated with mental illnesses relates to brain activity in healthy individuals.
- This finding not only improves our understanding of how the brain works but may one day be applied to treatments.
It's a development that could one day lead to much better treatments for osteoporosis, joint damage, and bone fractures.
- Scientists have isolated skeletal stem cells in adult and fetal bones for the first time.
- These cells could one day help treat damaged bone and cartilage.
- The team was able to grow skeletal stem cells from cells found within liposuctioned fat.
Gut bacteria play an important role in how you feel and think and how well your body fights off disease. New research shows that exercise can give your gut bacteria a boost.
- Two studies from the University of Illinois show that gut bacteria can be changed by exercise alone.
- Our understanding of how gut bacteria impacts our overall health is an emerging field, and this research sheds light on the many different ways exercise affects your body.
- Exercising to improve your gut bacteria will prevent diseases and encourage brain health.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.