Is Willpower Innate?
Is willpower something that we’re born with and live with our entire lives?
Is willpower something that we’re born with and live with our entire lives? We often think about many of our personality traits and our mental traits as being things we’re born with. But many things, including personality, willpower, intelligence, all things are endowments we are born with a tendency towards, but then we use throughout life and we can build up.
And so willpower has the interesting quality of being like personality and like other traits in that it’s partly heritable so that we have a certain amount of common amount of willpower with say, our parents, and that’s true even if we’ve never met our parents because it’s inherited through DNA. But willpower is also something that we can build up through practice like a muscle.
And so just as a person might have an innate capacity to being a body builder or very good at a particular physical skill, and then also build it over time, willpower is like that. Willpower is like a muscle where we have some predisposition to have a certain amount of it, but also a thing we can build up over time.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.