Everything is a Negotiation
My vision and view of negotiation is that we are all negotiating all the time.
Some people see negotiation as something that the businessperson does at the formal business and negotiating table that the Heads of State do at a formal summit. My vision and view of negotiation is that we are all negotiating all the time.
From the day you’re born and cry for milk. You know, I have three young boys and Lord knows I am negotiating every day with these boys. And they’re testing my negotiation skills day in and day out.
To me, negotiating is any time you are interacting for some purpose, you’re negotiating. So that means you could be watching Seinfeld on T.V. They’re negotiating. You could be watching International Leadership trying to figure out important conflicts; they’re negotiating as well. You are negotiating all the time.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
What do the inventions of the future look like?
- Self-sustaining space colonies and unlimited fusion energy would bring humanity to a new point in our evolution.
- Flying cars and robot butlers could be the next paradigm shift in our tech appetite for change.
- Death and consensus reality might soon become obsolete.
A space memorial company plans to launch the ashes of "Pikachu," a well-loved Tabby, into space.
- Steve Munt, Pikachu's owner, created a GoFundMe page to raise money for the mission.
- If all goes according to plan, Pikachu will be the second cat to enter space, the first being a French feline named Felicette.
- It might seem frivolous, but the cat-lovers commenting on Munt's GoFundMe page would likely disagree.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.