Anyone for Tennis at 80?
James Watson: I think we’re all in favor of being alive when we’re alive. And of course, it's how you define being alive.
I’m amazed at how many of my 80-year-old friends are quite functional. That would have been something I never would have thought possible when I was 20 years old. I’m hoping I’m still at my peak as a tennis player.
For my 80th birthday I was given the racket that Roger Federer plays with. It’s a good racket, and it let’s me play better. But, in all honesty, I can’t believe that I'll be doing this 10 years from now. I just think I’ll slow down some. And I don’t want to.
I think we’re all in favor of being alive when we’re alive. And of course, it's how you define being alive.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
A space memorial company plans to launch the ashes of "Pikachu," a well-loved Tabby, into space.
- Steve Munt, Pikachu's owner, created a GoFundMe page to raise money for the mission.
- If all goes according to plan, Pikachu will be the second cat to enter space, the first being a French feline named Felicette.
- It might seem frivolous, but the cat-lovers commenting on Munt's GoFundMe page would likely disagree.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.