A Business Plan Should be a Process of Discovery
William Sahlman: Without overconfidence, I’m convinced entrepreneurship wouldn’t take place.
I’ve read probably 5,000 business plans at this point, and I have no idea whether it’s 10,000 or 3,000, it’s a lot of business plans. What I know is, only three or four companies have actually met their plan.
So the first thing I know is that people are overconfident. And in fact, without overconfidence, I’m convinced entrepreneurship wouldn’t take place. Now, to survive overconfidence, you actually have to believe and be on a path to find the right solution, to serving customers at a profit.
So these things are discovery processes. They’re about not knowing exactly how the market is going to evolve, and searching for tangential markets or places where they can create growth options. And so, the way I’ve come to think of it is just really a series of structured experiments, a process of discovery, a process of learning as you go and adjusting, modifying the people who are working with you, modifying the resources that you bring to bear on the opportunity.
So it’s a very, very interesting process, not about being able to predict perfectly, but rather about being able to find opportunity.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.